left arrow Back to Previous

John B. Swainson Room and Black Smith Blacksmith Shop

  • 324 E Main St, Manchester, MI 48158
Visit Website right arrow



The Blacksmith Shop was built in 1877 by a group of stone masons in just eight days. The shop was owned and operated at that time by William F. Neebling, who sold it to Theodore Morschheuser in 1909. John Schneider became an apprentice to Morschheuser in 1911, and in 1922, Mr. Schneider continued the practice of making and repairing wagons, wheels, and related items made from hammered steel. He also shoed horses to supplement his income. John Schneider owned the Blacksmith Shop until his death in 1952. The Blacksmith Shop, one of Michigan's last intact Main Street blacksmith shops, was purchased by the Manchester Area Historical Society in 1982. The Blacksmith Shop is the meeting place and training center for several who still practice the blacksmith craft. Demonstrations are often presented during local festivals. The blacksmiths welcome your questions and enjoy explaining how the forge operates.