left arrow Back to Previous

U-M Detroit Observatory

Visit Website right arrow

overview

arrow

The Observatory was the centerpiece of President Tappan’s efforts to transform the U of M into one of the first research universities in the U.S. Today, the building stands essentially as it was in 1854 with the original astronomical instruments intact and operational. Completely restored in 1998, the Observatory is open twice a month for tours.

map

arrow